Supplies needed are:
- Glass Slides
- Salts, Sugar, Lemon Juice
- Polarizing Film
1. Dissolve salt in water to create saltwater. Repeat this for other minerals you want to test. Put mixtures in clean glass slide.
2. Let slides dry overnight until the liquid is evaporated.
3. Observe formations at various magnification powers. Observe images in observation log.
4. If formations are difficult to observe, you can use polarizing film. Place one piece over the light source and place the second piece over the slide on top of the stage. Adjust intensity of light illumination as needed.
5. Observe the magnification at various powers, the film should make the crystals appear with different colors.
6. Record all changes and observations.